With Global Kids the big world out there suddenly becomes very close.
Global Kids is part of a Spor Media project in which Danish pupils meet young people from cultural groups from countries in Latin America, Africa and Asia. The visitors are trained in drama, acrobatics, circus skills, music, etc. and perform as well as teach. They visit primary and lower secondary schools, high schools, efterskoler, and folk high schools. In face-to-face workshops they engage the Danish pupils in activities that are new and challenging to them, and afterwards they present a performance to show the skills they have acquired.
The members of the cultural groups are accommodated by the pupils’ families. Through the workshops and their daily lives with the host families, the European youngsters experience that language barriers and cultural differences can be transgressed. This creates a motivation for engaging themselves in intercultural learning. The cultural encounters create relationships and a common understanding that the world’s major problems require common solutions.
The visits also give teachers an opportunity to combine teaching in specific issues in geography, history, languages, etc. with concrete activities where ’theoretical’ issues crystallise into real live individuals.
Since 2003 annual projects within this field have been organised in Denmark.
- 2019: Nafsi Africa from Kenya and Sosolya from Uganda
- 2017: Stop from India
- 2016: Nafsi Africa from Kenya
- 2015: Teatro Trono from Bolivia
- 2014: Nafsi Africa Acrobats from Kenya
- 2013: Nablus Circus School from the West Bank
- 2013: Teatro Trono from Bolivia (film: We break down boundaries)
- 2012: Phare Ponleu Selpak from Cambodia
- 2010: Baobab from Ghana
- 2008: U.K.A. from South Africa
- 2007: Teatro Trono from Bolivia
- 2006: Teatro Trono from Bolivia
- 2005: Mobile Mini Circus from Afghanistan
- 2004: CIRCOmpa from Bolivia (film: CIRCOmpa visits West Sjaelland)